The following list shows which functionality is supported with the map services drawing engine:
The following data sources are supported:
- Databases (See the ArcGIS database management system requirements for a list of supported databases and spatial data types.)
- Databases accessed through an OLE DB connection file (.odc)
- File geodatabases
- Enterprise and workgroup geodatabases
- NetCDF files
- Network datasets
- Plug-in custom data types
- SDC files
- Text files
- Tracking data sources
The following layer symbology options are available:
- Dot density
- Graduated colors
- Graduated symbols
- Proportional symbols
- Representations (recommended for cached maps only)
- Single symbol
- Unique values
The following layer types are supported:
- Annotation layer
- Dimension layer
- Feature layer
- File-based raster catalog layer
- Geodatabase raster catalog layer
- Geostatistical layer
- Group layer
- Mosaic layer
- Network analysis layer
- Parcel fabric layer
- Query layers
- Raster layer
- Schematics layer
- Terrain layers
- TIN layers
- Tracking layer
- XY event layer
- Route event layer
Dynamic layers allow clients to change layer appearance and behavior on the fly in a map service. Using dynamic layers, you can do the following:
- Add new layers to the map from a dynamic workspace.
- Define how the labels will draw for a layer.
- Define layer symbology (simple, unique value, class breaks).
- Define the position and order of layers in the map.
- Modify joins to an existing layer/table.
- Remove an existing layer from the map.
- Add joins to an existing layer/table or add a layer/table that originates from a dynamic workspace.
- Force the server to perform a dynamic draw even if a tile cache is available.
Dynamic layers are supported by REST, COM, and non-Esri SOAP clients. Data sources that you can register as a dynamic workspace include the following:
- Database (query layers only)
- File geodatabase (feature layers, raster layers, and tables only)
- Folder containing file-based rasters
- Folder containing shapefiles or .dbf files
- Geodatabase (feature layers, raster layers, query layers, and tables only)
Most raster symbology is available. The raster pan-sharpening filter is also available. Hillshading on the fly is not available.
Most 2D symbols are available, but 3D symbols are not supported.
The following symbols are available:
- Arrow marker symbol
- Cartographic line symbol
- Character marker symbol
- Gradient fill symbol
- Hash line symbol
- Line fill symbol
- Marker fill symbol
- Marker line symbol
- Multilayer fill symbol
- Multilayer line symbol
- Multilayer marker symbol
- Picture line symbol
- Picture fill symbol
- Picture marker symbol
- Simple fill symbol
- Simple line symbol
- Simple marker symbol
- Text symbol
Cartographic representation rules are supported, although using representations with map services is recommended for cached maps only.
Additional features that are available include:
- All color ramp types
- All color types
- All number formats
- Definition queries/query expressions
- HTML pop-up windows
- Stand-alone tables
Page layouts and display expressions are not available. Scale bars are available through the service's Web Service Description Language (WSDL) only.