Tools that honor the Maintain Attachments environment will copy attachments from the input features to the output features. An attachment table and a relationship class will be created.
- The input feature class must have attachments. This setting will not otherwise create or enable attachments on the output.
- The output workspace must support attachments. Attachments will not be copied if the output workspace does not support attachments; for example, shapefiles and DBF files do not support attachments.
- The following tools will transfer attachments:
The Copy tool will always copy attachments, regardless of the Maintain Attachments environment setting.
- Since relationship classes are used to maintain the linkage, and relationship classes require an ArcGIS Desktop Standard or ArcGIS Desktop Advanced license, a Desktop Standard or Desktop Advanced license is required to maintain attachments when copying features. With ArcGIS Desktop Basic, you can read and open attachments.
Dialog syntaxMaintain Attachments
- Checked—Attachments will be copied to the output feature class. This is the default.
- Unchecked—Attachments will not be copied to the output.
arcpy.env.maintainAttachments = True
Specifies whether or not to copy attachments to the output features. The default is True.
import arcpy # Set the maintainAttachments environment to False (no attachment copy) arcpy.env.maintainAttachments = False