- ArcGIS Engine includes many components. See What's included for a list of ArcGIS Engine components.
- Review the ArcGIS Engine system requirements for the component.
- Administrative privileges are required for installation.
- On Windows, the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 or later is required for installing ArcGIS Engine.
- Download and install the component. If upgrading, review Upgrading to ArcGIS 10.8.1.
- Obtain your software authorization numbers and authorize the software. If using a Concurrent Use license, you will need ArcGIS License Manager 2020.0, which can be used for all ArcGIS 10.x Concurrent Use. See the License Manager guide for more information.
- See ArcGIS Desktop for access to additional resources, such as documentation and support.
ArcGIS Engine 10.8.1 includes the following components:
- ArcGIS Engine—Component that supports the creation of GIS and mapping applications.
- ArcGIS Engine Background Geoprocessing (64 bit)—Installation for background geoprocessing in 64 bit.
- Database Server (Desktop)—Installation for SQL Server Express instance to store geodatabases.
- ArcGIS License Manager 2020.0 (Windows and Linux)—This version is required to run ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.1 and ArcGIS Engine 10.8.1 with Concurrent Use licensing. It also supports all other ArcGIS 10.x Concurrent Use releases.
- ArcGIS Coordinate Systems Data—Contains the data files required for the GEOCON transformation method and vertical transformation files for the United States (VERTCON and GEOID12B) and the world (EGM2008).
Additional licensed extensions are available as separate downloads:
- ArcGIS Data Interoperability—Enables ArcGIS to read and process over 115 GIS and CAD formats supported by Safe Software FME.
Developer tools are available with ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit:
- ArcObjects SDK for Microsoft .NET Framework—Documentation and sample code for Microsoft .NET Framework developers customizing and extending ArcGIS Engine, ArcGIS Desktop, and ArcGIS Server.
- ArcObjects SDK for Java—Documentation, tools, and sample code for Java Platform developers customizing and extending ArcGIS Engine, ArcGIS Desktop, and ArcGIS Server.
The following is also available with ArcGIS Engine and can be found under the Products or other download sections:
- DBMS Support Files—Client libraries and databases to be used to directly connect to geodatabases.
Language packs (coming soon)
ArcGIS Engine is available as a localized setup. Language pack setups are also available to apply additional languages to existing installations of this component.
Installing ArcGIS Engine 10.8.1 and ArcObjects 10.8.1 SDKs
- Download and extract the ArcGIS Engine and ArcObjects packages.
- Run the Setup.exe file, following the prompts to complete the installation for each product.
- See Authorize ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit and ArcGIS Engine to complete the installation.
Upgrade to ArcGIS 10.8.1
- The ArcGIS 10.8.1 setup package is designed to detect and upgrade an existing installation of the same ArcGIS product. The settings for the installation location and authorization information are retained during the upgrade. See the installation guide for more information on installation upgrades and new installations.
- Existing ArcGIS 10.1–10.8 authorization numbers will work with ArcGIS 10.8.1.
- ArcGIS 10.8.1 for Single Use—If ArcGIS 10.8.1 will be installed on a machine that is different from where an earlier ArcGIS 10.x product is currently installed and you want to use the existing ArcGIS 10.1–10.8 authorization numbers for ArcGIS 10.8.1, the earlier version of an ArcGIS 10.x product must first be deauthorized before authorizing ArcGIS 10.8.1.
Obtaining software authorization numbers
If needed, your account's primary maintenance contact can obtain authorization numbers from My Esri. After signing in with your Esri Account, click My Organizations > Licensing > View Authorizations. Click a product name to obtain its authorization number.
The license version on authorizations eligible for use with ArcGIS 10.8.1 will display as 10.1–10.8.1 under View Authorizations. For those outside the United States, contact your local distributor for information about your authorization numbers.
Authorize ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit 10.8.1 and ArcGIS Engine 10.8.1
- Recommended: Use an Internet connection to complete the authorization steps below.
- If you do not have an Internet connection for the machine on which you intend to install the software, you can authorize the software via email.
- If you want to facilitate the authorization process or authorize silently, a provisioning file generated from the Licensing portal on My Esri can be used.
- After the installation, open the ArcGIS Administrator wizard.
- Choose the desired Single Use product.
- Choose the ArcGIS Engine (Single Use) option if you only need to run ArcGIS Engine applications.
- Choose the ArcGIS Engine and ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit (Single Use) option if you need to develop and run ArcGIS Engine applications.
- Click Authorize Now.
- Select the default option, I have installed my software and need to authorize it.
- Select Authorize with Esri now using the Internet. If using a provisioning file, choose the option I have received an authorization file from Esri and browse to the file.
- Enter your personal information where applicable.
- Enter your core product authorization number (ESUxxxxxxxxx). See the View Authorizations page on My Esri to obtain this number if you do not have it available for use.
- Enter the authorization numbers for extensions, if applicable. For extensions not listed, manually type the extension name and the authorization number.
- Click Finish after the authorization process is complete.
- Click OK to close the ArcGIS Administrator wizard. Your software is now ready for use.
Authorizing additional extensions for ArcGIS Engine Single Use
This applies if you have already authorized your ArcGIS Engine 10.8.1 Single Use software and want to authorize additional extensions later. Follow the steps for Authorizing ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit and ArcGIS Engine Single Use, and at step 3, choose I have already authorized the software and need to authorize additional extensions. Step 6 will not be applicable. At step 7, you will be given the opportunity to enter your authorization numbers for the applicable extensions.
Defining the ArcGIS License Manager 2020.0.
- After completing the ArcGIS Engine installation, open the ArcGIS Administrator wizard.
- Choose ArcGIS Engine (Concurrent Use) in the ArcGIS Administrator wizard and specify the name of your license manager.
- Once you have set your license manager, click OK to close the ArcGIS Administrator wizard. Your software is now ready for use.