Most people need to access and work with datasets in geodatabases, but not to perform administration tasks. If you are connecting to a desktop or workgroup geodatabase to create or work with the data in the geodatabase, you can connect using the Database Connection dialog box.
You need the following information to use the Database Connection dialog box:
- The name of the SQL Server Express instance used for the database server
- The name of the database that contains the desktop or workgroup geodatabase
Follow these steps to connect to a desktop or workgroup geodatabase from the Database Connections node in ArcGIS Desktop:
- Expand the Database Connections node in the Catalog window in ArcMap.
- Double-click Add Database Connection.
The Database Connection dialog box opens.
- Choose SQL Server from the Database Platform drop-down list.
- Type the name of the SQL Server Express instance in the Instance text box.
SQL Server Express instances used for database servers are always named instances. Therefore, provide the instance name in this format: <computername>\<instance>; for example, yourcomputer\sqlex1.
- Choose Operating system authentication from the Type drop-down list.
- Choose or type the name of the geodatabase to connect to in the Database text box.
- Click OK to make the connection.
A new connection file is created under the Database Connections node in the Catalog tree.