With ArcGIS for Maritime: Charting, all S-57 products are created through the New Nautical Product wizard. This wizard is accessed from the series level in the Product Library tree view and can be used by those with Administrator, Edit, or Check In/Check Out product library permissions.
The wizard performs the following actions:
- Creates the product, instance, and AOI levels in the Product Library tree view
- Writes the metadata entries to the Nautical Metadata table
- Creates the product extraction queries
The following sections guide you through each process of the wizard.
Accessing the wizard
When you first open the New Nautical Productwizard, the Overview area displays a description of all the processes you will encounter. In addition, there is a link to the AOI creation process help topic. Before you open the New Nautical Product wizard, you will need to create an AOI. The AOI feature class must be populated before you can complete the New Nautical Product wizard.
The following steps guide you through creating an AOI:
- Start ArcMap.
- If necessary, open the Product Library window by clicking Customize > Production > Product Library on the main menu.
A tree view of the product library appears.
- Expand Product Library and Products.
Right-click the series for which you want to create a product and click New Nautical Product.
The Overview area of the New Nautical Product wizard appears.
- Review the content in the Overview area.
- Click the About defining AOIs link to open the AOI creation help topic if you haven't created the AOIs.
AOI features must be created before continuing.
- Click Next.
Selecting the S-57 product AOI features
You need to select the product's AOI features that were prepopulated in the AOI feature class before opening the New Nautical Product wizard. You can select, unselect, identify, zoom in, zoom out, and pan. If you need to unselect individual features, you can use the Identify tool's right-click commands.
- Click the Zoom Inbutton and drag a box around the area where your AOI features are located.
- Click the Select button to select the AOI features.
- Click Next.
Defining your S-57 cell name
By default, the agency value you enter in the Nautical Properties pane of the Production Properties dialog box is listed in the Agency drop-down list. You need to define the intended usage and the remaining five characters that make up the S-57 dataset name. The dataset name value you define is used as the product and instance-level names in the Product Library tree view.
- Click the Producing Agency drop-down arrow and choose an agency value if you want to change the value defined in the nautical properties.
- Click the Intended Usage drop-down arrow and choose your S-57 product's intended usage value.
- Type the remaining five characters of your S-57 product's dataset name in the Product Identification field.
- Click Next.
Defining your S-57 metadata values
The dataset name value you defined previously is automatically set in the dataset name field of the product metadata view. You need to enter a value for the compilation scale, which is used to build your S-57 product's extraction query. For example, if you entered 20,000 as your compilation scale, the wizard references the Scaleband.xml file to get the next-highest compilation scale value. So, if the next-highest value stored in the Scaleband.xml was 25,000, the extraction query would be built to get all features falling within a 20,000 to 25,000 scale range.
- Click in the cell next to Compilation Scale of Data and type a value for your compilation scale.
- Edit the rest of the metadata fields with the necessary values for your S-57 product.
- Click Next.
Reviewing the summary
The summary shows you the metadata entries you entered before starting the product creation process.
- Review the metadata entries.
- If necessary, click Back to go back to the Product Metadata area and make any corrections.
- Click Finish.
A progress dialog box appears with the status of the creation process.
- Click OK when the process completes.